Friday, July 24, 2009

Water, Water, Everywhere

How many house floods should a person have to have in a lifetime? I am up my third significant one,
two of which have occurred in the last ten months. At least for one out of three I was at home when it happened.
Thank goodness I came home from working in SC for the Fourth of July holiday and watched as my kitchen ceiling crumbled in front of me. I happen to have a handy plumbing knight on a white horse who lives next door, and a wonderful and knowledgeable neighbor who lives across the street. With the help of these two folks, the leak was stopped, with two large holes in my ceiling.
I had planned on having some kitchen renovations done while traveling on my next work assignment, so will have the entire house re plumbed and then some renovations completed. For anyone considering this, the price of re plumbing has decreased in the last five years due to a new piping product called PEX.
I now have a kitchen sink sitting in my dining room. Did I mention that my washing machine broke on the same day? Well, I guess I will have to delay retirement for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. I am happy to hear that your NC flooding experience isn't as awful and dramatic as it was while you were in MA! In fact, I was thinking about it the other day and how awful it really was for you to come home after a weekend away and find your home (in MA) flooded. I also remember how I delt with it too. I was in Americorps then, camping in the fields of a small town along the Colorado River in Utah. It was a Saturday and I had spoken to someone in the family about your situation on the payphone at the local gas station that day. I remember feeling so sad and heartbroken and more than anything so frustrated, so ticked off (!) that I couldn't be there to help you- that I was out there in the middle of nowhere, building some trail for trail walkers of the Colorado River, but I couldn't be there to help my own mom who had suffered so great a loss...

    I wandered out into the open fields that night feeling sorry for you, for my family (and now looking back on it, ashamed as I am, sorry for myself too). I remember sitting in that field just crying... Just crying.

    I later found out that those fields were once filled with the shacks of migrant workers from the dust bowl era of the Great Depression. It was very sobering to know of their once existance and to fall asleep on the very spot where they sacrificed so much. To this day, I still connect the flooding of our Shrewsbury home with the notion of the depression era migrant workers....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's really something. Thanks for sharing the experience.

    ReplyDelete